Instant Messaging (IM)
This feature allows you to send real time messages to your friends, from your mobile phone, using MSN and Yahoo chat services. Learn what Instant Messaging is and how much it costs.
To use this service, you’ll need a compatible phone.
Things to Know
- Only individual conversations are possible.
- You can communicate with users from the same portal only (ex. Yahoo! Messenger to MSN Messenger is not possible).
- You won’t be able to send joint files or share buddies.
- Only one active session at a time is possible per profile.
How to use Instant Messaging
To activate your IM service
Using the Fido IM application you loaded
You must follow the next instructions (only if your phone does not have the preloaded application).
Using your internet mobile browsing on your phone
- Launch a mobile internet session.
- Select Shop, then Games and Apps from the Fido homepage.
- Select Instant Messaging
- Select Download IM client for free now.
- Select ACCEPT
- Application is stored in the phone memory.
- Following the download process, you will be redirected to Fido IM page.
- Select portal (one or both)
- After selecting the desired portal(s), select ACCEPT.
- Select once again, ACCEPT.
- Terms and conditions page appears.
- Select ACCEPT again.
- A Thank You page will appears and will indicate the location where your Fido IM application is saved in phone. No need to reinstall the application for future IM sessions.
Using the preloaded application
- Use the Yahoo or MSN interface on your phone.
- Enter your e-mail address and password
- Select sing in
Watch the How to Videos
- Select the Fido mobile Internet browser
- Select Messaging.
Once you have signed into your Messenger account
Starting a conversation
Adding a contact
- On the main screen, select the contact of the person you want to chat with and select Send IM or send message.
- Compose your message and select Send when you are finished. Your Messenger contacts are carried over from the PC experience.
- On the main screen, select Options and then Add a Contact. Enter the Messenger ID of the contact you want to add and select Ok. The recipient will be notified that you want to add them to your Messenger contacts.
Ending a conversation
- When sending an IM to a friend, add an emoticon to your message by selecting Options, Insert, and then Emoticon. This will open up the Emoticons menu. Highlight the one you want to insert into your IM and select Ok.
- Alternative if you know the text shortcut for an emoticon, you can use that as well. For example, the happy face emoticon is :). Type : and ) and the recipient will receive the happy face emoticon.
Changing your status
On of your active conversations appear on the main screen under Conversations. To end a specific conversation, highlight it and select Options, then select End Conversation and Ok.
Using Instant Messaging while travelling
- From the main screen, select Options, Preferences and then My Status. From here you can change you status to Available, Busy, Invisible, etc.
In Canada on the Fido network:
- You can use Instant Messaging anywhere on the Fido network.
- There is no extra cost for using Instant Messaging while travelling in Canada on the Fido network.
While in the U.S. or Internationally:
- You can use Instant Messaging anywhere in the world where there is a network supporting data usage.
- There is an additional data transmission cost for using Instant Messaging embedded application. See our U.S. or International rates while traveling.