A browser hijack is a malware program that modifies a user’s web browser settings without their permission and redirects the user to websites that they had not intended to visit. These websites are usually malicious.
FAQs about Browser Hijacking
What’s browser hijacking?
How can a browser hijack affect my computer or device?
Here are the common symptoms of a browser hijack:
- Constant redirects to unwanted websites
- Pop-up advertisements and alerts
- Slow loading of web pages
- Appearance of multiple web browser toolbars that you did not install yourself
What do I do if my browser is hijacked?
Here are ways you can treat and avoid browser hijacking:
- Update your operating system and browsers.
- Avoid clicking suspicious links.
- Be careful when downloading software.
- Install antivirus software.