Travelling with your Fido
Don't leave home without your Fido! The Fido network covers 32 million Canadians and we also offer very competitive international rates. Learn more.
Roaming happens when you are outside Canada, off the Fido network, and connected to a wireless carrier partner*.
* Although roaming generally occurs outside Canada, Roaming can also occur in some areas of Canada (such as Dryden, Ontario or the North West Territories) where wireless services are provided by Canadian roaming partners.
If you place a call while outside of Canada, off the Fido network, you'll be using a network of a roaming partner that has a roaming agreement with Fido. In that case, you'll be charged posted per-minute voice roaming rates specific to that country/region. Different roaming rates apply to text messages, picture and video messages and data usage (e-mail, instant messages and mobile browsing).
Making and receiving calls while travelling
- When calling Canada from the U.S., dial 1 (North America's country code), the area code and then the 7-digit phone number.
- When calling Canada or the U.S. from any country (not including the U.S.), dial: +1 (North America's country code), the area code and then the 7-digit phone number
- If you receive a call while travelling, it's important to remember that if you're not in your Local Calling Area (the geographical area where your phone number is a local number) but still within Canada on the Fido network, you'll be charged Long Distance rates for receiving the call. If you receive a call while outside the Fido network, you'll be charged the roaming rate for the country you are visiting.
- Picking up messages is easy. Just press and hold the "1" key on your phone and you'll be taken straight to your inbox. Keep in mind that you'll pay roaming charges every time you check your Voice Messaging when outside the Fido network.
Sending and receiving text messages while travelling
Text messages are an easy and affordable way to stay in touch with friends and family while travelling.
- To send a text message while roaming in the U.S., enter your recipients Canadian or U.S. area code and 7-digit phone number.
- When sending a text message from outside Canada and the U.S., make sure to enter +, along with the country code before your recipient's full phone number.
Prepaid Long Distance
Learn more about Prepaid Long Distance rates.